Saturday, April 09, 2005

Finished Planting

I finally got out and finished planting the rest of the garden today. It took some time to clean out the last two beds but they looked much better after I was through.

Here is one that is nearly complete:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There are three types of grass that must be dealt with and all are a real pain.

First is the nut grass
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It produces nodules underground and send up sprouts and side runners. If you get it on a good day, you can retrieve the nodules - otherwise you get the sprout and the "nut" remains underground until the next time.

I am a master nut grass grower.

My next grass nemesis is what I call centepede grass.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is a slim and hardy grass that grows from a crown of roots and it sends out jointed runners on top of the ground. It is tough to get rid of and loves to come into the beds by growing between the joints at the corners.

The third type of grass is actually the one that I am trying to grow on the lawn - St. Augustine.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This coastal "carpet grass" is also a runner type grass.
If I could be as successful with it outside the beds as inside I would quit my day job.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?